On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Icelandic Association of Midwives, an exhibition was opened in the Library on the international day of midwives, on Sunday 5 May. The Midwife Association of Iceland is presenting the exhibition in co-operation with the Women's History Archives and the National and University Library of Iceland.
On May 2, 1919, 20 midwives gathered at the home of Þórdís Elín Jónsdóttir Carlquist midwife and her husband, Alex Wilhelm Carlquist windmill, on Laugavegur 20 in Reykjavik for the purpose of establishing a midwife association. The purpose of the company was to promote the interests of the midwife class and safeguard their terms. Also, to enhance their interest and knowledge for everything it is that their midwifery work stooped. In this 20 women group, there were 10 newly graduated midwives from the Yfirsetukvennaskólinn School. Only one young girl was born in Reykjavík the day the assoociation was founded, and therefore most of the working midwives in Reykjavík had the opportunity to attend the assoociation's founding meeting. The assoociation was
named "Ljósmæðrafélag Íslands" and is the first union of professional women in Iceland. In the first board of the Midwifery Association were Þuríður Bárðardóttir, chairman, Þórdís Elín Jónsdóttir Carlquist secretary, Þórunn Ástríður Björnsdóttir treasurer. Today, there are seven midwifes in the assoociation 's board and the current chairman is the sixteenth in the series.
The exhibition is on the 1st floor of the National Library.